• Welcome to the OMHS Eagle's Eye!

Eagle's Eye

Weekend Adventures That Won’t Break the Bank

Meredith Howell, Staff Writer

Looking for something to do on a free weekend? From rollercoasters to museums, Atlanta has a diverse selection of things to do and is just a 2 hour drive from Birmingham. The Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coca-Cola , and the Center Civil and Human Rights are in the center of downtown Atlanta; Atlanta Movie Tours are interactive and interesting for movie lovers; and Six Flags Over Georgia is a bit closer to Birmingham than the Aquarium and perfect day trip.

The Georgia Aquarium is perfect for family and friends; they have Whale Sharks, Stingrays, and sharks; there are dolphin shows, petting stingrays and sharks, and feeding events. Tickets for adults(13-64) cost around $50.

The World of Coca-Cola is a must-do for people far and wide; watching the making of  the world’s favourite drinks, exploring the vault of the secret recipe, and tasting soda flavours from all over the world are only a few of the things to do at the “museum,” and tickets only cost $20!

Walking distance from the Aquarium and Coca-Cola is the Center for Civil and Human Rights, there are exhibits about the American Civil Rights movement that feature Martin Luther King, Jr., “Voices to the Voiceless” featuring artifacts and letters from Martin Luther King’s childhood to his assassination in 1968, and “Spark of Conviction” about the Human Civil Rights, countering people like Hitler with activists for women’s rights.

Atlanta Movie Tours is a newer thing attracting people to the Atlanta area. They offer tours centered around Zombie movies and TV shows, Superheroes including Marvel movies, and Best of Atlanta film. Their bus takes you around the city for 2-3 hours, stopping for pictures and up close experiences of places in film, and shows you clips from movies of the sights and your tour guide’s scenes in movies and shows.

Six Flags Over Georgia offers the one of the best amusement parks nearest to Birmingham, offering 52 rides and roller coasters fun for all ages. Season passes start at $200, but are worth the money if you enjoy the park or plan to go often. The passes are also perfect for admission to seasonal events, like Fright Fest. Daily passes are popular for occasional, one day trips, perfect for a group of friends, and the pricing starts at $40 a ticket.