• Welcome to the OMHS Eagle's Eye!

Eagle's Eye

College Versus High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

College Versus High School

Mary Elizabeth LAne, Staff Writer

What is it like transitioning to a new stage in life? A huge transition that everyone faces is the transition to college or a career after high school. This article will take a look at the issues and insecurities of high school and college. The alumni and students of Oak Mountain High School give insight.  

I recently interviewed several Oak Mountain students and alumni to get their opinions of what is best about their high school and what needs to change.   An overarching theme that I saw between interviews was that hindsight tended to shed a more golden light. High school can put a lot on somebody’s plate; I know from personal experience. The overarching theme of former students is that cherishing high school is the best thing you can do. Some of the current students believe otherwise. I thought that with the intensity of this time of the school year that I would figure out the reasons for the differences between these two opinions.

It is the belief of the surprising majority that only a small percentage of their classes are heard and from those same people, we hear the same things over and over again, creating a never-changing, never-ending cycle. The overarching theme is simple: student associations and teachers need to be more aware of others’ lives outside.

College life for Oak Mountain alumni has been very different.  Post-graduation, our graduates have found different forms of happiness at various trades and schools. They have attested to the good things about college, such as managing one’s own schedule and getting used to a new environment. Most students do miss the spirit that comes with high school and the energy of various school events. However, what they know now after a few months in dorms is invaluable to those of us about to be in that a similar situation. It is important that students “don’t take high school too seriously” according to Emma Hammett, “It is okay not to know.” There is one thing that Cole Callahan thinks it’s important to learn before seniors leave for college: to do laundry. According to Cole “Getting used to life without my mom making me dinner and doing my laundry was the biggest adjustment.”

If the only thing you manage to read in this article is this next set of sentences then this is what you’ll need to know. Be patient. What you want will come to you. Classes are much more flexible in college. Don’t take high school too seriously; classes are hard, but they won’t define you. This is one small sliver of the pie that is your life. It will get eaten away with time; hang in there and enjoy while it lasts.