Work It Film Review

Work It Film Review

Mary Ashley Warbington, Staff Writer

Yet another formulaic movie by Netflix leaves you cheering for the underdogs as it follows an academically gifted high school senior learning to dance her way into the college of her dreams.

Work It” follows bland high school senior Quinnsenior, Quinn (Sabrina Carpenter), who is the perfect student who volunteers,  has perfect grades, and participates in extracurriculars. This is not enough for the Duke Admissions representative, and Quinn finds herself lying about being a dancer, and the predictable storyline begins. In general, dance movies are way overdone, and they typically offer very similar story lines. “Work It” is no exception. One such dance movie that comes to mind is a movie called “Full Out” from 2015 that features an identical love story and ending. Another is a movie that was released just a month prior to “Work it” that is titled “Feel the Beat.” “Feel the Beat” and “Work It” both follow a young woman whose dream is crushed when they face rejection. The only way either of them can possibly accomplish their dreams now is to not only qualify for a prestigious dance competition, but to also be among the best with a rag-tag dance team that does not know what they are doing. In the end, they accomplish their goals, and achieve the happy ending they do not deserve. “Work It” also features and thrives on several cliches. The main character is gorgeous, but she does not know it. The nerdy main character uses research to participate in an athletic event. The best friend is the funny and cool one, and last but not least, the underdogs win in the end. 

Overall the overdone tropes added a bit of charm to the story of Work It. The plot takes the backseat for a good portion of the movie, showcasing more of the impressive dance abilities of the film’s actors. Arguably the best aspects of the movie come from the charming best friend Jas, who has one of the most realistic and least forced performances, and from the scenes that Quinn and her love interest, Jake, share, in which the actors’ on-screen chemistry easily captivates the audience.