Oak Mountain Elementary and Oak Mountain Middle School Collaborate with Robotics

Rebekah Austin, Guest Contributor

Students in the gifted education classes at Oak Mountain Elementary have had the extraordinary opportunity to work with the robotics department at Oak Mountain Middle School. Sherri Whitehead, OMMS robotics instructor, and her students have given their time and knowledge to share their passion for robotics and technology. The students have learned to construct and program robots for specific tasks and to also problem-solve through challenges. It has been a learning experience for both the elementary and middle school students. The gifted education teacher at OMES stated, “It’s been fun to watch the middle school students work patiently with the elementary students and to see how the younger students look up to them. The middle school students have been able to break down the lessons, guide the younger students through each step of the process and encourage them to persevere when the task gets tough.” Whitehead noted that this opportunity has also led to unique leadership opportunities for her students. The schools are hoping this becomes a new partnership and opens the doors for robotics instruction in the classroom at the elementary school.