Students Compete at Annual Trumbauer Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brooklynn Smith, Staff Writer

The Walter Trumbauer Secondary Theatre Festival included 30 individual events, a one act play, and a studio theatre one act play. Students from the 9th grade to the 12th grade were eligible to participate.There are currently 14 OMHS students moving on to state this year.The students will go to Florence, Alabama and do the same act or play that they have done previously. Oak Mountain High School is considered district six which means the secondary festival was held at Pelham High school but changes each year.

“This was such a great experience, it’s not so much the competition that you’re against others but more so you against yourself” added Jacklynn Smith, one of the very talented students moving on to state. When asked, how does moving on to state make you feel, Brianne Martell replied with, “It makes me feel great. It makes me feel accomplished and happy to know I am one of the 14 moving on!” The students are scored on six criteria: Characterization, Movement and Bodily Expression, Vocal Expression, Selection of Scene, Blocking, and Effectiveness of Humor. Each student gets a time limit of three minutes. They are also scored with rankings of max amount 50.

Cooper Gray exclaimed, “I was extremely honored with making it to Trumbauer again. I considered it an honor they continue to ask us back and I hope we rock it again this year.” The 14 state bound students are: Lily Cooper, Kaya Coleman, Emery Little, Victoria Peters, Cooper Gray, Jacklynn Smith, Brianne Martell, Melanie Laporte, Colette Crowder, Serena May, Najuma Ali, Macy Watson, Ashley Winn, and Alex Shunnarah. Congrats to all who made it onto the next round.